Beyond Words – The secret of communication – | STUDY POINT~高校授業編~

Beyond Words – The secret of communication –


Lesson 1  Beyond Words – The secret of communication –

Part 1

1 There is a lady in a coffee shop waiting for a friend. She is wearing a dress that seems to be new. Then a waiter comes along with a coffee. He somehow trips on something and spills the coffee all over her. Now her dress looks as though she has been fighting with a bull in a puddle of dirty water. She stares at her dress, then turns to the waiter, glares at him, and says in a loud voice, “Thank you very much!”

2 Do you think the lady really wanted to thank the waiter for soiling her dress? Was she looking for an excuse to go home without seeing her friend? Naturally, you would answer, “No way. She must have been extremely angry.” You may say so because she glared at the waiter while she spat out those words. In other words, the way she looked at him and the way she talked to him helped you understand what her real intention was.

Part 2

3 Often, our words do not convey our intentions, and sometimes they do not even convey the truth. In order to understand people’s intentions, we have to not only listen to their words, but also pay attention to other things such as their body, facial expressions, and tone of voice.

4 According to an American anthropologist, no more than 35 percent of the social meaning of speech is conveyed by words. The other 65 percent is conveyed by body actions such as facial expressions, eye contact, touching, and body space, in addition to the tone, speed, and loudness of the voice. These factors are called “non-verbal language.”

Part 3

5 One part of non-verbal language is natural, and we have little control over it. For example, we turn red or white when we are very angry or worried. We sometimes cry, laugh, shake, or stare at things around us. These actions show our feelings, but they usually happen unintentionally.

6 On the other hand, another part of non-verbal language is learned just like any language, and usually that learning starts from when we are born. Children learn how to express social messages by watching the people around them or by being taught by adults. From a very early stage of their development, they learn how they should move their bodies to get along in society. American children quickly learn that smiling makes people happy. Japanese children learn to bow even when they have hardly begun to talk.

Part 4

7 Similar to language differences, each culture has its own way to non-verbally express social messages such as “Let’s be friends,” “I’m sorry,” and “Thank you.” For example, in Vietnam, one of the ways to express obedience is to stand up and stare at the speaker with your arms crossed. In Japan, on the other hand, you would lower your head, look down, and hold your hands in front of you.

8 Understanding the importance of non-verbal language does not mean that learning a foreign language is less important. On the contrary, if we realize the importance and meaning of non-verbal language, we will be able to understand and deal with those messages better. We may also understand the messages we are sending out when we are interacting with people from different cultures.

Part 1

1 喫茶店で,女性が友人を待っている。彼女は新しそうなドレスを着ている。それからウエイターがコーヒーを持ってやって来る。彼はどういうわけか何かにつまずき,彼女の体じゅうにコーヒーをこぼしてしまう。今や彼女のドレスは,まるで汚い水たまりで雄牛と闘っていたかのように見える。彼女は自分のドレスを見つめ,それからウエイターのほうを向き,彼をにらみつけて,大声で言うのだ。「どうもありがとう!」と。

2 その女性は,ドレスを汚されたことを本当にウエイターに感謝したかったのだとあなたは思うだろうか。彼女は友人に会わずに家へ帰る言い訳を探していたのだろうか。もちろん,あなたはこう答えるだろう。「まさか。彼女はとても怒っていたに違いない」と。あなたがそう言うのは,彼女がそのことばを吐き捨てながらウエイターをにらんだからだろう。言いかえれば,彼女の本当の意図が何かを理解するのに役立ったのは,彼女の彼への目の向け方や,彼への話し方なのだ。

Part 2

3 私たちのことばは,しばしば意図が伝えられず,また時には,その真の意味すら伝えられないことがある。人々の意図を理解するためには,私たちは彼らのことばを聞くだけでなく,彼らの体や表情や声の調子といった,ほかのことにも注意を向ける必要があるのだ。

4 アメリカのある人類学者によると,話しことばの社会的意味のうち,ことばで伝えられるのはわずか35%しかないという。残りの65%は,声の調子,速度,大きさに加えて,表情やアイコンタクト,触れること,体と体の距離のような身体動作によって伝えられる。これらの要素は,「非音声的言語」と呼ばれている。

Part 3

5 非音声的言語の一部は自然なもので,それはほとんど制御できない。例えば,私たちがとても怒ったり心配したりするときには,赤くなったり青くなったりする。私たちは時々,泣いたり,笑ったり,震えたり,もしくは身の回りのものをじっと見つめたりする。これらの行動は私たちの感情を表しているが,それらはたいてい無意識に起こっている。

6 一方,非音声的言語の別の部分は,あらゆる言語のように学習するもので,その学習は通例,私たちが生まれたときから始まっている。子どもたちは,彼らの周りの人々を見たり,大人から教えられたりすることによって,社会的メッセージの表し方を学ぶ。発達の非常に初期の段階から,彼らは社会でうまくやっていくために,体をどう動かすべきか学ぶのだ。アメリカの子どもたちは,笑うことは人々を楽しくさせるということをすぐに知る。日本の子どもたちは,ほとんど話し始めもしないうちから,おじぎをすることを学ぶ。

Part 4

7 言語の違いと同様に,それぞれの文化には,「友達になろう」,「ごめんなさい」,「ありがとう」のような社会的メッセージを,非音声的に表現する独自の方法がある。例えばベトナムでは,従順さを表現する方法の1つが,立ち上がり,腕を組んで話し相手をじっと見つめることである。一方日本では,頭を下げて下を見て,体の前で手を組むだろう。

8 非音声的言語の重要性を理解することは,外国語を学ぶことがあまり重要ではないという意味ではない。それどころか,私たちが非音声的言語の重要性や意味に気づけば,それらのメッセージをよりよく理解したり,対処したりすることができるようになるだろう。私たちはまた,異なる文化を持つ人々と交流するときに,私たちが送っているメッセージについて理解するかもしれない。